This ice cellar designed to store foodstuffs was built in the second half of the 19th century in a former open-air Caen stone quarry. In June and July 1944, the area in which it is located was staunchly defended by the occupying forces. Dozens of local residents took refuge here during the fighting. While the icehouse did not provide them with the best shelter from bombardments, it hid them from the Germans. A few blocks away is the prison where, on 6 June 1944, 87 people most of whom were resistance fighters were assassinated.
Pour toutes les visites le port du masque est obligatoire.
Base rate :
Child rate : 4,00 €
Pets allowed : no