Eglise Saint-Denis



The nave of the church seems to date from the first half of the 13th century. The choir may be from the same period, unless it dates from the 14th century as the tower covered with a gabled roof. The whole church suffered greatly during the fighting in 1944, and part of it had to be rebuilt.

The funerary inscription, known as the 'Mundret stone', is engraved above the south portal, plugged and restored. Written in Latin, the epitaph concerns the founding priest, Archdeacon Mundretus. The squares, the lozenge-shaped O and certain characters allow it to be dated to at least the 10th century. It is possible that it is even older.




Labels & order