This massive-looking monument is in primitive Romanesque style. Its construction, according to a Gothic inscription taken from one of the Crusades, actually dates back to the 13th century, probably around the year 1269. Considerable alterations were made in the 14th century, notably to the credenzas and capitals

The tower, finished as a bailey, was built on the west side of the building in the 17th century. The relics of Saint Sever are deposited in the church of préaux, during their transport to the church of Rouen. Legend has it that they became so heavy that they could only be moved after the parish was placed under the invocation of this saint. The church was restored in the 19th century.




Labels & order