Built around 1060 by William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy then King of England, the ducal castle in Caen is now home to the Musée de Normandie (Normandy Museum) and the Musée des Beaux Arts (Museum of Fine Arts).
Covering a total surface area of 5.5 hectares, Caen Castle is one of Europe's largest fortified enclosures.
The ramparts, Porte des Champs, the vestiges of the great keep, the Exchequer and the church of Saint-Georges collectively bear witness to the castle's glorious past.
Several campaigns to develop and restore the castle ramparts have offered visitors the opportunity to access a number of belvederes and to revel in splendid views over the town of Caen.
Also waiting to be discovered: the underground area that comprises the Rampart Rooms, specially reserved for Musée de Normandie exhibitions, and the garden of simples - a fine reproduction of a medieval medicinal garden.
Languages spoken :
Pets allowed : yes