Founded in 1131 by Guillaume, Count of Poitieu, the abbey belonged to the Order of Savigny, which joined the Cistercian Order in 1147. The site is very striking, at the edge of large woodlands known as the Bois de Gouffern. There are few remains of the abbey church, just some arches on fine pillars in a pure gothic style, and several remarkable capitals with carvings of vegetation. St André-en-Gouffern, (with Valasse Abbey) are the only places in Normandy with such well preserved buildings for the lay brothers of the abbey. The owners have undertaken major work to conserve and restore the abbey.
Base rate - full rate adult : 4,00€
Gratuities : until 12 years