The Blonville Terre church known as Notre-Dame de la Visitation (12th century) has a one-thousand-year-long history! Actually, part of the bell tower dates back to the 12th century. His history is inseparably linked to that of Blonville. The church was built quite far from the actual village, which developed closer to the coast. Actually, in the previous centuries, the population of Blonville was essentially rural and the coastal area seemed hostile to it. This was mainly due to the marshes that were much more extended than they are now.
In 1859, the archaeologist Arcisse de Caumont gave an accurate description of the church. It is east-west oriented like all churches. The most ancient elements are the lowest parts of the bell tower and of the choir, dating back to the 11th and the 13th centuries. The first building was undoubtedly placed where the choir and the bell tower are found today. A large nave was added at the end of the 15th century. The church was enlarged at the end of the Hundred Years' War, when Normandy terribly suffered from the presence of English and French troops as well as their mercenaries. During the Renaissance, at the end of the 15th century, a remarkable demographic development due to an increase in agricultural resources and richness was recorded. Constructions like this one could be built again.
Notre Dame de la Visitation Church, close to the cemetery, Hameau de l’église in Blonville-sur-Mer.
Opening from 8:30 pm to 11 pm.
Exhibition of liturgical objects, chasubles and paintings.
From 23/07/2021 To 10/09/2021
From 22/05/2021 To 04/08/2021