Keen to escape for a few days? Then head for Calvados and enjoy a weekend in Honfleur.
Here are our great addresses, the one's not to be missed... to help you concoct your own perfect escapade on the Normandy coast.
First of all, park your car. Honfleur is a village to visit on foot, to admire over a stroll through its narrow streets. Undoubtedly the best way to appreciate the typical architecture and the atmosphere of this small harbour town.
Things to see, things to do:
- Take a stroll along St Catherine's dock on the harbourside. Honfleur's fisherman's houses, high and narrow and adorned with wood planking or slate, are its most singular expression. These atypical dwellings have up to 7 floors. Behind this original facade, stroll through the cobbled streets where you can pay a visit to many a pretty boutique or art gallery.
- Take a step inside St Catherine's church and admire its staggering wood architecture. If you take a closer look, you will note its resemblance with an overturned ship's hull.
- Visit the Eugène Boudin Museum. Admire the works of this Honfleur-born painter and forerunner of the Impressionist movement. It is interesting to note that it was Eugène Boudin himself who initiated Claude Monet into open-air painting.
- Take a wander as far as the Notre Dame de Grâce chapel, from where you can marvel at the splendid panoramic views over the Seine estuary.
As you make your way by foot along the Route Adolphe Marais, you will pass by the Ferme Saint Siméon. Now a luxury hotel, it was once the meeting place of Impressionist artists: Eugène Boudin, Jongkind, Claude Monet, Gustave Courbet...
Where to stay – our selection:
- Hôtel Monet, on the Honfleur heights just 600 yards from the old harbour. Stay in one of the hotel's 14 comfortable rooms, all with their own terrace. A peaceful location and a warm welcome, and excellent value for money. (On-site car park).
- La Cour Sainte Catherine, a charming guest house with a small garden. A lovely place in the immediate vicinity of St Catherine's dock. And if you're travelling as a family, opt for an apartment.
Our delectable addresses:
- Ready for an afternoon snack? Then head for Les Maisons de Léa opposite St Catherine's church. A cosy gourmet tea room where you can relish in home-made pâtisseries on the terrace or by the fireside.
Les Maisons de Léa also offers a hotel, Nuxe spa and a delicious restaurant... test them over your next well-being weekend in Honfleur.
- Le Petit Vasouyard in Vasouy, on the Honfleur heights: a great place to dine, sea views, a friendly atmosphere and cuisine that honours Normandy's typical fresh produce.
- A Relais des Cyclistes, the perfect place for lunch, hearty dishes made with fresh produce and great value for money in the centre of Honfleur.
- L'Endroit, an original restaurant in the Saint Léonard quarter, gourmet bistro cuisine in an industrial loft style decor.
- Fancy a brunch before heading home? La Petite Chine is for you - home-made pâtisseries, scrumptious savoury snacks and quality teas. The upper floor offers unrestricted views over Honfleur's old harbour.